Monday, December 19, 2011

Kitchen Mishaps

The Colmans Mustard Explosion

 

We’ve all been there. Kitchen mishaps; when things just go awry. My most memorable kitchen mishap happened back in college, when I was making zucchini bread while gossiping on the phone with my friend. I accidentally put in a tablespoon of baking soda, instead of a teaspoon, and realized my mistake midway through the baking process. Rather than just toss it out and start again, I decided to tell my Shabbat guests and not the members of my family, about my little mistake. When I served the dish for lunch, my friends wisely avoided the zucchini bread, as I goaded my parents and siblings into eating large pieces. I asked them what they thought, and saw out of the corner of my eye my sister choking her way through her portion. They hemmed and hawed and tried to come up with something nice to say, but most just chewed in silence. Then my Dad declared that it was delicious, and so I came clean about my mistake.

All hell broke lose.

My sister spat out her mouthful and declared it was awful. My brother started yelling at me for making him eat it, and my Mother just could not believe that I kept this information from them.

What? I didn’t know that much baking soda would make the whole thing taste absolutely bitter.

(BTW – to this day – I really, really do think my Dad liked it)

The zucchini bread was tossed and I was banned from cooking in the kitchen for years! I am NOT exaggerating, my Mother only let me back into the kitchen once both of my sisters were married and she desperately needed my help getting food ready for the Jewish holidays.

To this day, the family still calls it “Shira’s Zucchini Bread Incident,” and I will never live it down.

As I got more familiar with the kitchen, I made many ingredient mistakes. Recently, I was lazy while checking my eggs and I cracked an egg directly into a giant bowl of peeled, cubed and cooked sweet potatoes.¬† I don’t know why I did that, since I almost ALWAYS crack my eggs into a glass to check for blood spots. Sure enough, there was a blood spot with my egg, and I had to toss the WHOLE thing. 2 hours before Shabbat. And I had no other dish in mind to replace that side dish for our Shabbat lunch. I still have the bags of marshmallows in the pantry since I never did manage to make another¬† sweet potatoes with marshmallow casserole. In the end, I made a lentil dish and didn’t have enough time to fully cook the lentils. Sigh. It wasn’t my best meal.

Then, last week, I decided to surprise my husband with a special dinner. I had all four burners going while the girls played in the living room. I was sweating it out, trying to make something he would really like. I opened the spice cabinet to reach for something and BAM! The Coleman’s mustard exploded. All over everything. And let me tell you, trying to clean up dried mustard that is so powdery and fine, is not an easy task. And, I’m pretty sure, everything I served DH for dinner, tasted faintly of mustard.

Here’s some more photographic evidence of my kitchen mishap.

All over the counter tops!

 

Inside my block of knives! (Dora candy dispenser was spared)

 

On top of the microwave!

Have you ever had that whoops moment in the kitchen? Let me know in the comment section!

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 Responses to “Kitchen Mishaps”

  1. 1

    Hannah @A Mother in Israel — December 19, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

    Ah well. I’ve had my share of burns. For a year most of my bread and challah went to bread pudding–it was always something else. By the way, ask the rabbi next time you make a kashrut mistake before throwing out the food!

  2. 2

    Netanya — December 19, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

    I once added a cup of salt to a gallon of iced tea, instead of a cup of sugar. Thank G-d I tasted it before serving to company!

    Once the plata didn’t go on. I had made a surprise birthday Friday night dinner for my husband and like 12 of his closest friends were there. They politely ate cold chicken soup and one even thanked me profusely because he finally got to dip his challah in soup – he generally won’t in case the hot soup should cook a pocket of uncooked dough inside the slice. And I think another friend even asked for seconds!!

  3. 3

    Yudit — December 19, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

    Best ones I can think of are, thank G-d, not my own. My sister is still living down the “mashing potatoes without draining the water” incident. My old neighbour for some reason got a mental block on kashrut rules when she was pregnant and made yummy chicken pot pie using canned mushroom soup. It was yummy, till her husband asked “What’s in this?” and went to fish the can out of the garbage to find out that it was milky mushroom soup. Same neighbour cooked a whole batch of chicken schnitzels in her milky frying pan. But only when she’s pregnant!

Leave a Comment